Monday, January 17, 2011

Words Bethany says at almost 15 months


Bethany is my little cling-on these days. Today I had the day off for MLK Jr day and she wanted to be with me at all times. There is something very sweet, and flattering about someone wanting to be with you every second they are awake, but sometimes it can be a little bit frusterating as well. But then I stop what I'm doing and look down at the pleading little face saying up! and swoop her up into the air and smother her with kisses. The smiles and giggles that follow are absolutely priceless.
When I was cooking dinner tonight Bethany wanted to watch me and after I took the salisbury steaks out to cool, she started smacking her lips. I took a piece off the edge and started blowing on it so I could give her a taste and she leaned in and starting blowing too! Everytime I gave her a new bite she did the same thing.

I love that Bethany understands what we ask of her now and "usually" obeys us. She does her best to leave things alone, but I can tell we are getting to a point where she doesn't have all of the words to tell us what she wants and that frusterates her. If we take something away from her she sometimes throws little temper tantrums, but thankfully those are few and far between. We also are dealing with fake biting where she gets really close to biting us, but stops and either calms down or if she is really upset bites her own hand. She was bit a few times at her early childhood center awhile ago and now she has bit a few kids too. I know it is just a phase, but just like her wanting to be more mobile I hope for her sake she starts talking more soon so we can talk about what she wants.

She is adding more words to her vocabulary all the time. Her favorites are uh oh, bye, hi, dada, cheese, ba-ba (bottle), bebe (baby and blankie), please (sounds like cheese), mama, socks, ah done, ba (ball and bath), na na (good night), book, no (no and nose), eye, and ma (milk). We have a ways to go where all of these are words are understood by everyone, but it is a great feeling to hear her say something and know what she wants. I'm sure her language will explode even further over the next few months which will be so fun to see!

No comments: