Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Who needs your appendix anyway?

Warning: This post contains information and a picture from my recent surgery, read more at your own risk!

I promised a post about our time with Dan's sisters family from Chicago but I will do that in a little bit. First, at the end of their trip is where my dramatic weekend started. Bethany had her 15 mo appointment and everything looks good.

Her stats:
Height- 31 1/2 in 80%
Weight - 21 lbs 14.7 oz 25%
Head - 45.5 cm - 40%

We're working on Bethany eating better at meals and getting rid of a persistent diaper rash. On the plus side (but still a little TMI) she's pooped in the toilet for me 3 times (and grandma once) so we're hoping that means she'll be an early learner in that arena? They are happy with her level of understanding of words and although she's active, she is a toddler! She was a champ with the shots in her legs and even got a Dora sticker afterwards which she proudly showed her cousins at lunch at the Eden Prairie McDonald's.

That afternoon I started having a stomach ache and after Dan came home from work I called the nurse line and got a second opinion by calling Amber to see if I should go in. I went to Methodist Hospital ER at 7 and by 10 when Amber made it over to be with me, they decided it was my appendix and I needed surgery that night. It was so nice Amber could be there to ask questions and stayed with me overnight in the very loud observatory area. The surgery was about an hour and all I remember is getting the mask put on in the OR and then waking up to people giving me warm blankets awhile later. Everything went well and it was my appendix so it was good to have the surgery. I was extremely nauseated after the surgery and they had these leg squeezy things to prevent blood clots but also prevented me from sleeping. In the morning I tried sitting up to use the bathroom but couldn't do it... so we just kept trying to keep on top of the pain, nausea and see if I could get some sleep. By the middle of the day Saturday I was getting to the point of extreme anxiety from the vicious cycle and just wanted to go home. Dan came that morning to let Amber go home and Dan's parents kept Bethany at their house. I'm sure it was tough for him too as he felt pretty helpless. I was finally able to eat a few grapes and spoonful's of soup which allowed me to get some much-needed rest. 2 hours later I felt like a new person and accomplished my three tasks for discharge: walk to the bathroom, walk around the unit twice, and eat. We hurried home that night so I could sleep in my wonderful sleep number bed. It never felt so nice to be home! Bethany came home Sunday afternoon and we watched the Super Bowl with some friends, but I laid low. It was wonderful not to have to clean ahead of time, cook or clean-up. The rest of this week I'm working half days Monday and Tuesday and from home the rest of the week until I'm off the pain meds. Fingers crossed that I'm better by next week when we have plans to go to Phoenix for a work conference and to extend a few extra days with friends and family.

15 months old!

Allison getting Bethany to read the WHOLE book
The three incisions from my surgery - the swelling should go down in 2 weeks


No comments: