Monday, January 9, 2012

What did I get myself into?

So, Amber emailed me last week and said that Brent and some friends were thinking of running in the Lake Minnetonka half marathon on May 6th and she wondered if I would think about running it too with her. I looked up the course and saw that the half-way point is literally .5 miles from our house and that much of the run is along the lake and would be beautiful. I thought to myself, how bad could 13.1 miles really be? I'm SURE I can do that! Then, for some strange reason I convinced Dan he should do it, a few co-workers and friends are in on it too. We all signed up, I came home, ran 3 miles, went to bed, woke up and said to myself... what have I gotten myself into?

Here are the things I didn't think about:
1. That it would not be easy to find time to run with 2 small children at home
2. That waiting until they go to bed means that I have to run after dinner and I'm tired by then!
3. That having a baby that doesn't sleep through the night yet means that I should really be sleeping when she is sleeping, not running like a crazy person.
4. That I really don't like running.
5. That I have never run 13.1 miles before... well I guess if you count the 3, 3, 3, and 4.25 miles I've run since I signed up I have, but I don't think you can run the half marathon over 4 days.
6. That I'm super competitive and even though this seems like a really bad decision, I probably am not going to give up very easily.
7. That it is the middle of winter and I will be training on a treadmill and not outside (boring)

But, despite all my complaining here are the few things I do know:
1. Running makes you feel awesome - the next morning after running I always feel great... a little sore, but awesome. There really is a runners high.
2. That I'm really going to love having so many people to keep me motivated towards my goal - really, I want you to ask me how I'm doing!
3. May 6th is right before summer and maybe I'll actually be able to wear fun summer dresses after being hugely pregnant last summer!

So, that is what I have gotten myself into. Wish me luck.

No comments: