Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hardwood flooring and crib shopping

Last weekend was a perfect weekend to be inside working on home improvement projects. Dan decided to tackle the upstairs at our house and install hickory hardwood flooring in the kitchen, dining room, living room and hallway. Last week we spent our evenings pulling up the old flooring and carpet - it was a lot of work! He borrowed a finishing nail gun from Scott and rented a staple gun from Home Depot early Saturday a.m. and got to work. My dad came over for a few hours and my sisters husband Brent stayed all weekend.

Meanwhile, my mom and sister and I went crib shopping! Babies R Us was definitely the best, and we got a few good ideas. I may end up buying it at Direct Buy because they have the same brands but it is cheaper with their buying club. We also brought my paint sample and picked out bedding! I didn't think I'd get that done this early, but since we were at all those stores anyway we checked them out. The room is peach and I want to stay fairly neutral either way. We found a few cute monkey ones and I'm drawn to the green and brown colors. We stopped at JCPenny's last and found the cutest jungle theme with the right coloring and most importantly it does have monkey's on it.

Saturday afternoon Amber and I helped the guys a little bit and made dinner, took a nap and watched a movie. Sunday we helped a lot more and helped pull up the last of the carpet and sanded the edge pieces Dan cut for the flooring around the stairs. We took Bella to the dog park and then they headed home Sunday evening while Dan and I finished the project with the nail gun. Last night we used the finishing nailer for a few more pieces and trim and I started cleaning the floors and moving the furniture back in place. It looks great!

Tonight once I sand the last few pieces and finish cleaning I'll take some final pictures to post. We are so happy to have this project done! Thank you mom for shopping on Saturday and Dad for helping the guys! And, Amber and Brent we appreciate you giving up your whole weekend to help us, it looks great!

The next project will be the railing and closet doors for the baby room. The carpet should be coming in the next few weeks!

Ripping up the carpet!

lovely original laminate we found in the kitchen

Brent and Dan thinking about the closet

Amber bringing Bella in to see what all the commotion was

Sanding

Final view of the kitchen

16 week belly shot

View of the entryway and edging

No comments: