Sunday, December 16, 2007

Another Late Night

Yesterday we went out to the lake again to bring the vanity for the downstairs bathroom as well as the microwave for above the stove. Another great job by our Vibe to fit everything in one car load! I was resolving myself to the fact that I'd have to sit in the front seat with this large microwave on my lap from the Buffalo Menards to the lake, but no, it fit in the back with the 48 in vanity!


Dan had a frustrating day with his speakers. The first two went in ok (one in the upstairs hallway and the other outside under one of the dormers), but the last dormer one was a pain. Apparently when he was drilling he hit a stud and so couldn't fit the speaker in the hole he drilled. He's going to have to figure something else out and try again later.

I spent the day finishing the 2nd coat of trim on the last set of trim boards as well as the three interior doors our builder hung. Plus, we took out the four bi-fold doors for the guest bedroom closet and the pocket door and got 2 coats on those as well. I've now used three gallons of that Min-wax smelly stuff and think with one more gallon I'll be able to finish the remaining 7 interior doors plus the big french doors for the office. The tough part isn't doing the finishing itself, it is sanding down the wood between coats. I have a couple slivers in my hands to show for my efforts :(


After Dan got done with the speakers he continued on his quest for a horrible day and started putting together the IKEA cabinets for the wet bar. We'd heard horror stories about those cabinets before, but he did his best. Throughout the day I could hear him muttering to himself about us not getting the parts we needed, and that the pieces we did get were flimsy, and all in all he just felt stupid. After I was done finishing the wood, I came down for moral support. In the end I do think we are missing a few pieces, agree they are flimsy (we need to get some super glue for a piece that broke), and because our builder didn't build the area completely to scale we put together a cabinet that isn't going to fit. Fun times!

We finally got home around 1:30 this morning and luckily we're not going out to the lake again today. Instead, we're going to do errands, wrap presents, and get ready for MBA presentation tonight at 7 ct. They we'll be done! This will be a happy ending to a hard weekend.

Heather's finishing work on the knotty pine interior doors

Dan: "I love IKEA cabinets"

No comments: